The Regulatory Organizations of Architecture in Canada (ROAC) and the Architects’ Council of Europe (ACE) have confirmed the ACE-ROAC Mutual Recognition Agreement for the Practice of Architecture among member states in the European Union and Canada. The agreement represents a decade of negotiations, bringing trans-Atlantic recognition of professional credentials under the auspices of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), a free-trade agreement between Canada, the European Union, and its member states.
Qualified architects from each country, who satisfy the requirements of the agreement, will be granted a credential that will lead to a license to practice architecture in the host country. The agreement will open doors to qualified architects as the world and architectural practice becomes more globally connected.
This pact outlines specific requirements that architects must satisfy when pursuing mutual recognition. These include education, internship and work qualifications, as well as submitting documentation to confirm the individual’s credentials.
The basic ACE eligibility requirements include:
- A qualified architect from the EU and Canada shall be registered or licensed or otherwise recognized and is a member in good standing in their home jurisdiction and have completed a minimum of 12 years of education, training, and practice in the field of architecture, in one or more of the states, provinces or territories of their home jurisdiction, of which a minimum of four years shall be post-registration/licensure experience;
- Proof of “Good Standing” in the home jurisdiction, as verified by the local regulatory authority;
- Knowledge of the codes, laws, and other matters applicable to the practice of architecture in the host country;
- Mobility across borders in the European Union and across provinces and territories in Canada; and
- European architects seeking licensure in Canada must complete a 10-hour online course on Canadian domain specific requirements in architecture.
The anticipated implementation date is 2023.